Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Civil 3D 2007 Initial Thoughts

Ok, I installed Civil 3D 2007 last Thursday and have been using it on one of our new projects. Did not install Vault, looks too complicated. Plus I'm in it for the design features not the database management. All is going pretty good so far. The product is not as stable as 2006 though; a lot of crashes and fatal errors. Probably about 6 to 8 during the course of my work yesterday. And RECOVER does not work well. I usually lose about 50% of my drawing objects when I am able to recover. Not good. And unfortunately the system crashes are random and cannot be recreated. A couple of times Civil 3D crashed when doing an automatic save. That was frustrating. Auto save usually works so I've set it to 5 minutes just because. Normally I'd set it to 15 to 20 minutes. I use QSAVE when I remember too also.

Overall though, I think it's still worth installing and using just because of the new functionality. I can look beyond the short-comings at this point. The grading design I just did in C3D 2007 was pretty easy to develop. I say I was able to complete the design in about half of the time it would have taken me in Land Desktop. The automatic surface rebuild feature allows you to see the contours change as grading features are added to the surface. You could do this in previous versions of C3D but the rebuild seems much, much faster now.

Well, back to it. I've learned much in the past few days which I will try to share here. So check in every so often.

No comments: